About this method
The Home Energy Eﬃciency Retroﬁts (HEER) method may be used to calculate energy savings from a range of household and small business energy efficiency upgrades. In this method, the term ‘energy’ may refer to electricity, gas or both.
The method requires a minimum customer co-payment of $30 (excl GST) which cannot be reimbursed.
Calculating Energy Savings
The HEER method provides a range of low cost and higher cost activities that can be conducted at a property. Eligible activities are listed in Schedules D and E of the ESS Rule.
A site assessment of a home or small business is required to be carried out prior to the upgrade taking place.
Lighting Equipment Requirements
Lighting equipment installed under the following activities of the HEER Method must be accepted by the Scheme Administrator as meeting the equipment requirements.
- Activity Definition E1 – Replace halogen downlight with a LED luminaire and/or lamp
- Activity Definition E2 – Replace a linear halogen floodlight with a high efficiency lamp
- Activity Definition E3 – Replace parabolic aluminised reflector (PAR) lamp with efficient luminaire and/or lamp
- Activity Definition E5 – Replace T8 or T12 luminaire with a LED luminaire
- Activity Definition E11 – Replace an edison screw or bayonet lamp with an LED lamp for general lighting purposes.
- Activity Definition E13 – Replace T5 luminaire with a LED luminaire.
Further information on these requirements can be found on the HEER method lighting requirements page.